Monday, February 28, 2011

The Walls of Jericho

On Sunday, we drove down to the TN/AL border and hiked the Walls of Jericho trail. It was approx. 7miles round trip with something like 1200+ feet of elevation gain on the way back up from the walls... We met my dad at the AL trailhead as well as my sister and her family. I warned everyone ahead of time that this was a pretty tough hike but I'm not sure that they fully grasped what was in store. The group started out in good spirits at 11:25am and we moved along at a pretty good pace on the downhill section. I carried my full pack and tried to imagine what it will be like carrying it for weeks on end in this kind of rough terrain... I can honestly say that my pack weight was not bad at all (approx. 31 lbs) and Im feeling REALLY good about my level of preparedness for my thru-hike.
  By the time we got to the "walls" at the bottom of the gorge around 2:30, everyone was pretty worn out. At that point there is still a short scramble up the creek bed and a few rock faces before reaching the "end" of the trail at the waterfall/pool. My dad had stopped at the creek, shy of the pool, so I encouraged him to push ahead since he'd come this far. It would have been a shame for him to have done all the work and not seen the falls. He made it and we got a photo to mark the accomplishment. He earned it! It was a TOUGH hike back up to the trailhead, even for a young guy, let alone a 70 year old. Needless to say I'll be thinking of him on my thru-hike whenever I need a little inspiration to keep moving.
  Dad and I brought up the rear and made it back to the trailhead around 5:45pm. There were a few bumps & bruises and some seriously worn out folks but we ALL made it and had a great afternoon! I had a great time enjoying the trail with my awesome family and feel blessed to have them in my life. I'll be thinking of this trip often while walking to Maine....

2 comments:

  1. That's a great place to test your endurance. Especially the incline back. If you easily did that with your pack on, I'd say you are ready to rock the AT! Props to your old man for that trek. Hopefully he didn't stop along the way to play with poisonous millipede's like i did :) - Matt: "Dude, my fingers are all red and bubbling!" - Luke: "I told you not to touch those."

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "Walls" was fun. Long hike, good company, small snake

    ReplyDelete