Thursday, February 17, 2011

Weird Guy With Backpack

I've been wearing my pack into work in the mornings and climbing the 4 flights of stairs to my office. I get some pretty odd looks from the corporate folks (I've also been developing a wicked headstart on my beard)... I'm pretty sure they think I'm a homeless man who's been sleeping in the stairwell someplace. Today I'm going to start walking the hills of downtown Nashville on my lunch hour in an attempt to get some muscle strength built up in the legs/back. I'm in decent shape but every bit helps. Plus I'm jonesing to start hiking and this is as close as I can get for now. Still playing gigs on the weekends so I'm not able to do any real hikes until I leave for Springer.

I met up with Bungalow Bill at Cumberland Transit yesterday and had my pack weighed. Base weight without food/water is 21.8lbs. Right where I wanted to be. I added some toiletries last night so that adds a little weight but I'm not concerned about every little ounce. I feel good about my gear choices and have faith that this setup is going to be comfortable. Still need to pick-up a pair of camp shoes and I'm debating on wether or not to spend the money on a new pair of hiking shoes to break-in ahead of time. I'll be starting in my trusted Asolo boots but want to switch to a Merrell type shoe after I'm thru the snow. I already have some well worn New Balance trail runners and plan to use those at some point as well. Also considering purchasing some gaitors at the suggestion of Mr. Bill... Trying to hold onto my trail money tho! The days are flying by and I'm LOVING the awesome weather we've had the past few days. Ok. I'm off for some urban hiking!!

No comments:

Post a Comment