Monday, May 2, 2011

Ouch! My leg...

4/26
The weather forecast called for rain last night and said it would hang around for three days. Despite some strong winds we escaped the storm. After breaking camp and filling my water bottles I resumed the trek north. The hiking was moderate and the weather was fair. If it hadn't been for my foot and leg issues I would have been able to put in a good mileage day. However, as the day went on I began to loose steam and my will power to go on started to plummet. I noticed on the trail map that there was a hostel about two miles short of my goal for the day. I decided to be a wimp and head in for a bed. Only two days out of town and I'm already heading for the hostel. I felt like a total sell out but rationalized that it was the best thing for my leg/foot. I was also hoping the storm would roll thru and I would miss the rain and the experience of having my tent soaked again.

I checked-in to the Hemlock Hollow Farm Hostel and set myself up in the bunkhouse with 6 other guys. It's a nice place and the couple who run it are very kind. Let's hope the storm rolls thru tonight and makes the stay worthwhile!

288.1mi hiked ... 1892.9 to go.

1 comment:

  1. You know what they say..Hostels happen...we were only 4 days and 6 hours without power. Surely you can go longer ! Got to keep finding your second wind and try not to fight mother nature, just take what she gives you. You didn't think this was going to be easy did you.. If it was EVERYONE would want to do it, then it would be crowded on the trail.. keeep on trucking

    ReplyDelete