Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Back to nature

4/02
I slept in my bag last night on TOP of the bed at the motel. I'll admit it. I'm a hotel snob. Even though I watched housekeeping clean the room I just couldn't bring myself to crawl into the sheets of the redneck honeymoon suite. Needless to say I was up and ready to go as soon as the sun came up. I walked down the street and bought two biscuits from Hardees. I ate one on the walk back to the motel and saved the other for my lunch on the trail later. A very nice guy stopped by the motel around 9am and gave a few of us homers a ride back to the trailhead on the outskirts of town. I was welcomed back to the trail with a nice steep climb right off the bat. The weather was sunny but cold and VERY windy. I was just happy to be dry for once and trudged along trying to get my rhythm back. Two days off in town was a nice break for my feet but my legs were not quite ready to wake up yet. I finally caught the groove and before I knew it I had crossed my first state line. I've completed the GA section and finally feel like I'm on my way! I stopped at the famous gnarled/twisted tree that marks the unofficial state border and ate an avocado. Avocados are quickly becoming one of my gave trail foods! I lounged for quite awhile before finally making the last tough climb of the day. I covered a total of 11.7 miles today which was just about all my poor feet could handle. I've decided to change my plans and meet Alex at the Nantahala Outdoor Center. This will allow me to cover a little less mileage per day this week. I think I got ahead of myself with the 14mi per day plan. I'll work my way up to bigger miles but not until my feet can handle it. Just taking things one step at a time for now. I'm having a blast though! Despite my foot troubles.... 79.3mi down... 2101.7 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment