Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Max Patch

4/21
I walked back down the driveway from the hostel to the I40 intersection where I had left the trail two days earlier. My goal is to make it to Hot Springs in two days. That's 33.7mi to cover.

The hiking has been spectacular the past couple of weeks. The highlight of this section came at the end of the day when the trail climbs to the summit of Max Patch. This bald was created by a farmer in the 1800s who cleared the land of trees for planting crops. Its a very unique spot and I've been looking forward to seeing it.

I walked through the green grass over the summit, wound around the round hill top, and found a nice little campsite at the bottom of a hay field on Max Patch. I ate dinner, watched the sunset over the bald, and enjoyed my first night in my tent outside of the Smokies.

253mi hiked ... 1928mi to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment