Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Sittin on top of the world

4/03
The weather today was AMAZING! Such a nice change from the miserable cold rain I've been hiking in so far. I broke camp and hit the trail at 9:30am. All day yesterday the word on the trail was that a group had setup at Deep Gap and was handing out trail magic (hot food, drinks, etc...). There was no chance yesterday that I could have made the 16mi needed in order to get to Deep Gap before nightfall. I had forgotten all about it until I got there this morning. The group had camped out last night and were just packing up when I arrived. It appeared that I had missed out. However, a very nice couple unpacked their personal cooler and laid out all the fixins to make a deli sandwich along with a selection of home baked goodies. Score! I got some trail magic after all! With my belly full and spirits high I cruised up Standing Indian Mtn without blinking an eye. According to legend, this Mtn was once inhabited by a dragon. The local Indians stationed warriors as lookouts. A great bolt of lightning struck the Mtn and killed the dragon but turned one of the warriors into stone. I didn't see any dragons but the view was simply breathtaking. I spent at least two hours up there basking in the sunshine. It was a very enjoyable hike for the remainder of the day with only gradual climbs. I covered 12.5mi today and camped in a nice little spot tucked away in some rhododendron bushes. There's a nasty storm on it's way and although I'd like to make it into Franklin NC before it hits Monday night, I just don't know if my feet can make it. We'll see what happen tomorrow. 91.8mi down.... 2089.2 to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment