Monday, March 28, 2011

A better day


Day 2 - 3/24
Well, I decided to take it easy today and only did 7.8 mi to Hawk Mtn Shelter. The hike was beautiful all day but especially first thing this morning. I walked thru  hardwood forest with huge trees and lush vegetation. I finally felt like I was on the AT. My spirits were pretty low last night after the approach up to Springer. I sat down at the overlook and started thinking about Alex and the life I'm leaving behind to hike this trail. I was overwhelmed for a few minutes and shed a few tears.  Today my spirits were lifted and I'm hoping for another boost today. On the trail today I met Grim, Guiness + her dog and friend from Nasville, Mark from Boston, Phil, Mike, and several others. I'm camping with several of the folks from Springer shelter last night also. Good people so far. Well, except Grim turned out to be a little...."grim". Ok, finishing up my coffee and poptart and heading out. I'm hoping to cover 12 mi to Woody's Gap today.

1 comment:

  1. Keep your head up man. You're living out a dream. Everyone will be waiting for you when you get back. We're all pullin' for ya. The life you left behind will be that much better when you return. 5 months will fly by quick once you become "one" with the trail. I'm looking forward to hearing all the stories so I know what I'm up against when it's my turn. Take lots of pictures. Peace.

    ReplyDelete